Were you charged with driving while under the influence and have questions about DWI charge expectations? Call our Rochester attorneys today.
1) How the Police Determine Intoxication
- The police are trained in seeking out an intoxicated driver based on seeing bloodshot and glossy eyes, pale skin and slurred speech.
- The police will also use standard field sobriety tests to determine your intoxication level.
2) Field Sobriety Tests
- You can see tests that may include-
- Repeating the Alphabet.
- Counting from 1 through 20, or any variations.
- Finger to Nose test – You lean your head back and are required to touch your finger to your nose.
- Walk and Turn Test – You must walk several steps on an imaginary line.
- One Leg Stand Test – You must stand and raise on leg for a period of a few seconds.
- A police officer may use a Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus test to see the movement of your eyes.
3) The Consequences of a DWI Conviction
- You will be required to a pay a fine, a DMV surcharge and you will also have your license suspended.
- You may be eligible for a conditional license.
- You will need to attend a Victim Impact Panel.
4) Receiving Two Tickets for DWI
- The first charge you will receive is “Common Law Driving while intoxicated” which is based on the observation of the arresting police officer.
- You will be charged with a Driving While Intoxicated charge if you take the breathalyzer and blow over a .08 BAC.
Have you been charged with driving while under the influence and have questions about DWI charge expectations? Contact our experienced Rochester DWI lawyers today for a free consultation and case evaluation.
Like us on Facebook