Child Support Complications

Coming to an agreement about child support can be challenging. Things may be further complicated by unexpected issues such as job loss, or your child moving out. Here are some common child support issues.

Child Support Complications | My Child Moved Out

Child Support ComplicationsSometimes a child will no longer live with either parent while one parent is still paying child support to the other. That parent should go to court right away and try to change the child support obligation and try to eliminate it. Child support is not payable to a parent who does not have their child living with them. If the child is away at college, the courts consider that a temporary relocation of the child and that will not trigger a change in the child support obligation. If the child moves out of the house, is not in school, and is no longer being supported by that parent, typically the courts will allow the child support obligation to be terminated even if the child has not yet turned 21 or is otherwise emancipated.

I Want to Change My Child Support Amount

It’s not uncommon for child support amounts to change periodically. The law allows for a review of child support every three years. If there has been a change in circumstances where a parent’s income has gone up or down by at least 15%, it’s not uncommon for a child support to be reviewed periodically and to be changed and adjusted.

Get Our Free Family Law Video Series

Child Support Complications | I Lost My Job

Sometimes after a child support order is entered, there is a change in circumstances. Those changes in circumstances can include loss of employment or a change in the custody of the child. What we can do is go back to court and get those issues readdressed. If you lose your job based on no fault of your own, you’re typically entitled to change your child support obligation. On the other hand, if you quit your job or get fired, the court generally is not going to allow you to use that as an excuse to change your child support amount. Additionally, if your income increases significantly, the other parent could take you back to court and ask for more child support.

Contact Our Office Today

If you are having child support complications, please call our Rochester family law attorneys to receive a free consultation where we can address these issues.

Leave a Reply