Concerned About Appearing in Court

Concerned About Appearing in CourtBeing summoned for a court appearance can be stressful and overwhelming. You may be feeling like it is too much to handle on your own and perhaps hiring a lawyer is the best choice. If you are concerned about appearing in court, experienced defense lawyer Michael Schmitt can help.

Concerned About Appearing in Court | DWI

The first time you go to court after a Driving While Intoxicated arrest, you will be arraigned. The judge is required to suspend your driver’s license if there is a certification that shows that you took the breath test and the result is higher than a .08. In that instance, the court can issue you a hardship license. A hardship license is a temporary license that is going to allow you to drive to and from work or to and from school if you can show that you have no other means of transportation available to you. Typically, 30 days after your license is suspended pending prosecution, you’ll be eligible to get a condition license from the DMV that will replace your hardship license and allow you to continue to drive at that point.

Do I Have to Go to Court for a Traffic Ticket?

Many times, I’m able to resolve a traffic ticket without the person who got the ticket ever having to come to court. I can typically do it through the mail or negotiating directly with the D.A. and the judge while I’m in court.

Criminal Contempt of Court

If you’ve been accused of violating an order of protection, the criminal charge for that is called criminal contempt. Criminal contempt can either be a misdemeanor or a felony and it depends upon what the allegations are or how you are alleged to have violated the order of protection. If you are alleged to have assaulted the person who has the order of protection against you, that’s likely going to be a felony. If there’s a less serious violation of the order of protection, you’re potentially looking at a misdemeanor. Many times, we’re able to get a favorable disposition of these cases, especially if there is no prior history of violating the order of protection. Certainly, sometimes it’s common to have orders of protection involved in cases of custody and visitation with children involved. Many times, we’re able to successfully negotiate a non-criminal disposition of a criminal contempt charge.

Contact Our Office Today

If you have a court appearance and need legal representation, please call our Rochester criminal defense attorney today for a free consultation.

Click Here To Read Our Avvo Reviews

Leave a Reply