Are you in the divorce process and have questions about how to win your custody claim? Check out our article for guidance, then call us today!
Joint vs. Sole Child Custody
Often as an experienced Rochester Child Custody Lawyer, I am asked the differences between Joint Custody and Sole Custody in New York.
- If you have joint custody, you and your child’s other parent will be required to make decisions about your child together, cooperatively.
- If you have sole custody of your child, you alone will be required to make decisions about your child.
- You can have a shared residency plan and still have one parent be sole custodian.
How Do Courts Decide on Visitation?
When it comes to child custody and visitation, I am often asked as a Rochester Child Custody Lawyer how the courts decide on this.
- The court will look into the best interest of the child.
- The court will review:
- Who can take care of the child best.
- Who is best to serve the child.
- The time allotted to each parent with the child
Do Courts Favor the Mother?
As an experienced Rochester Family Law Attorney, I am often asked by my male clients if the courts favor the mother in terms of custody and support.
- The courts do not favor the father or mother over one another.
- The courts will review both parents to decide the child’s best interest.
The Role of a Law Guardian
Many times as an experienced Rochester Family Law Attorney I am often asked what the role of a law guardian is for a child.
- A law guardian for a child is also called an Attorney for the Children.
- An AFC acts like a normal lawyer; they gather information from talking to the child and represent them in court.
Are you considering a divorce and have questions about how to win your custody claim? Contact our experienced Rochester child custody lawyers today for a free consultation and case evaluation.
Like us on Facebook